Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tasty Meat Sauce From Home 芽菜肉燥 - " Malaysian Monday 15''



I am terribly sorry for my inaction for the past weeks. With my computer out of order, a new job and my local internet cafe now a bottle shop getting anything posted is a real pain. Thanks for all your comments and emails while I was away, I will be posting regularly starting from next week. This is everyone's last opportunity to cook somthing Malaysian for this month's Muhibbah Malaysian Monday, how about something about deepavali for the spirit of muhibbah!? This is a very simple but versatile meat sauce that I grew up with and there is always some in the fridge for emergency. It is perfect as topping for rice, noodles or tofu and I hope you will try it out too. Traditionally pork is used but I am using chicken this time around.
P.S I will also try to reply all your emails over the weekend.



you'll need;
500 g of chicken mince or mince of your choice
3 garlic cloves, chopped
5 cm knob of ginger, chopped
1 onion, chopped
25 g of ya cai (a type of Sichuanese preserved vegetable)
2 tbs of light soy
2 tbs of dark soy
2 tbs of oyster sauce
dash of Chinese cooking wine
1/2 cup of chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste



Prepare the garlic, ginger and onion.



Marinate chicken mince with oyster sauce, light soy and Chinese cooking wine for 15 minutes.



Saute onion and garlic til lightly brown then add the marinated mince. Brown meat a little or til it loses it's pinkness.



Add stock, dark soy and ya cai and simmer on very low heat for 1.5 hours.



Remove the lid and continue to cook for 5 minutes if the sauce is too thin, alternatively thicken with some corn flour solution.



Serve this as topping for noodles, rice or tofu.



I will be hosting the October event. Please send all your delicious entries to me at sureshchong@yahoo.com. To find out more please click HERE.

28 comments:

  1. Yummyyyy!!! I so want to try this sauce... Love the colour...very very tempting.

    Also posting my favorite 'Malaysian Chicken Rice' for your blog. Check it out.

    Link- http://flavorandtang.blogspot.com/2010/08/malaysian-chicken-rice.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. selamat kembali my dear Tummy..makcik ingat Tummy bercuti hehe ..oh satu menu yang simple n Yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi khun tummy!!!!! welkem back!!!! misssed all ur foods :-) hopefully sumenyer ok2 ya.. waaaaa.. waaaaaa...menu ni sgt simple i rasa mkn dgn tofu sedap niii, thanks for kongsi :D nanti i cuba buat juga ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. this goes well with a plate of steamed rice or noodles, look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, welcome back! Great to hear that everything went well and back in action again. Looking forward for more.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this meat sauce is very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this meat sauce!
    Nice to have you back. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow... that looks like it'll go so well with noodles.. (any noodles!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks so yummy! My kids will sure love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! This is perfect with rice! I cook something similar and always cook a huge pot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!
    it looks very yummy and seem ideal for this season!
    Have a nice day!
    Babrara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to have you back! I love this to go with rice plus some chilli in it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great that you are back :). I wont mind eating rice if is pairing with this meat sauce, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great meat sauce recipe. def gonna have to give it a try,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! Thought you took a vacation! I must say people say brown food doesn't photograph well but this looks both gorgeous and scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am salivating over this! Looks so good with porridge and rice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi tummy... lama tak nampak. bagos hidangan nih.. boleh simpan. bila2 masa boleh guna.. makan dengan nasi sajer pong sodapp! nanti saya nak cuba..

    ReplyDelete
  18. That really looks and sounds yummy!

    How are you doing? I have not seen you around for such s long time. :(

    Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. bienvenue j'espère que tu t'es bien reposée
    ta sauce a l'air excellente j'aime bien
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that rich colour tells us the secrets of this tasty sauce, there's no hiding it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. glad to see ya back in action. The sauce looks so good and savoury for zha jiang mian :)~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your blog! everything you made looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this type of meat sauce! I usually eat it with noodles :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. No worries! things happen in the meantime come a take a look at my brisket!

    btw I made cabbage in my wok over hot charcoal on my bbq gawd it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Made this meat sauce yesterday, and just ate it. Damn good. Goes well with noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This one is definitely on my save to make list. I use minced chicken often and make some meat sauce similar to this. I will make this one! I am now looking for some ya cai.

    My schedule has been crazy lately, and I haven't been able to keep up with my blogging or blog reading like I want to. I understand completely! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  27. dapur Tummy masih berkunci rapat..semoga anda sihat sihat selalu dan cepat buka dapur ni dengan resepi yang baru:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. May i ask where to buy the ya cai you used?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin