Monday, November 22, 2010

Curry Chee Cheong Fun 咖哩豬腸粉 - "Malaysian Monday 18"


I was more than ready to have some rice or noodles after 5 days of carbless diet. I have been planning to make some curry chee cheong fun for a while but after cooking for 8 hours a day during the week (plus our nightly dinner), I decided to do a bit of cheating. There are some really good quality ready made curry paste around and that saved me from spending too much time preparing the spice mixed. I also bought some mixed fish cakes to add to the curry, I am rather surprised by the quality of these Malaysian made products. This is a common breakfast dish found all over Malaysia, of course you may serve it for lunch or dinner as well. Toasted sesame seeds, fried shallots and pickled green chillies are compulsory for this delicious dish! For Penang style rice noodle rolls with shrimp paste click HERE.
P.S This is my lunch on Saturday when carb is allowed :)



serves 3 to 4
you'll need;
1 packet (1kg) of chee cheong fun (rice noodle rolls)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 of a cabbage, sliced
2 Japanese eggplants, sliced
a handful of long beans, cut into 5 cm lengths
a selection of mixed fish cakes (available at Asian butchers)
1 packet of instant curry paste for vegetables
200 ml of coconut milk
300 ml of water
shallot oil 
light soy
toasted sesame seeds to serve
fried shallots to serve
pickled green chillies to serve



I found this ready made paste from Malaysia... a real time saver so look out for it!



Prepare the vegetables.



I got some mixed fish cakes and stuffed bean curd skin from my Asian butcher and I found out they are made in Malaysia :)



Lightly saute vegetables for a few minutes and set aside.



Saute chopped garlic and onion with a little oil before adding the curry paste. Fry the mixture for 2 minutes before adding coconut milk and water.



Add saute vegetables to the curry broth and simmer for 5 minutes, add mixed fish cakes and cook for a further 5 minutes, check for seasonings.



Deep fry the stuffed bean curd skin and drain well. Meanwhile steam of microwave the chee cheong fun (rice noodles)



Ladle some curry vegetables over the chee cheong fun; drizzle with some shallot oil and light soy, scatter some toasted sesame seeds and fried shallots over. Of course the meal is not complete without some pickled green chillies.



Shaz from Test With A Skewer is hosting the November event, please send all entries to its.sharon.gmail.com . To find out more please click HERE.

22 comments:

  1. hi tummy... rindu ngan masakan tummy... saya pong suker kari! aduhaii lapa perut saya..

    ReplyDelete
  2. makcik pun Diet juga ni hehe hari hari pergi berenang..makan banyak sayur-sayuran serta buah buahan dan kurangkan karbohidrat..harap harap berjaya kali ini...masakan Tummy ni menggoda selera makcik kihkih

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another delicious looking dish that makes me want to go grab all the ingredients right now... only if it is not 34c out there lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what I want for my dinner tonight. Must make a trip to Victoria Street over the weekend. Your curry chee cheong fun looks fabulous btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a tempting and irresistible Chee Cheong Fun! I simply love this!!! Missed eating them since we moved to our new home. Used to buy, never tried making on my own. hehe ;)

    Happy Malaysian Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hana,
    Haha termima kasih Hana...boleh dapat chee cheong fun in Jepun ke?

    makcikmanggis ,
    Semoga kita semuanya berjaya dengan diet kita :)

    darren,
    Thank you! It is a little hot to do any food shopping.

    KL girl in MELB ,
    Thank you! I think I am going to cook this again over the weekend :)

    ♥LOVE2COOK♥,
    Thank you very much! I wish there is a chee cheong fun stall near me. Happy MMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so wierd... I just came back from Ikea store and they were serving just this! I was wondering where on earth did they get the idea of serving Chee Cheong Fun with curry vegetables! Is this common???

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me but it just looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is making me homesick. I had no idea those fish cakes are from Malaysia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaaahhhh... are you seriously on a no-carb diet? How on earth do you survive? I cannot even survive one day without carbs...I'd give up butter before I give up carbs :). The chee cheong fan is soooo tempting, and guess what I also made curry, but just a simple chicken curry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS - do you know how to make the Hong Kong style CCF? I'm seriously craving it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. tummy, i fall in love with this. I would like to try this out soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! This is what I love. Sometime I use CCF as kuay teow soup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous meal. Using the curry packet i a good idea - frees you up. After eating carbless last week, I must say I'm more than ready for those noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really miss curry cheong fun! Used to have this almost every weekend when I studied in Subang!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really have to make it to your house for some Malaysian food someday, that or Malaysia! It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am happy to have this for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Great looking dish buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, you're so bad! I've been craving this for a very long time already. lol!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy tummy! I had this for lunch yesterday + some piping hot roast pork.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My hubby will love this! I must try to make some for him during the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can easily eat a plate of this for breakfast. What an exciting dish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin